Blackmores Vitamin D3 1000IU 200 capsules
Features and benefits:
- Vitamin D3 is longer lasting and more effective at raising vitamin D levels in the blood than vitamin D2.
- Helps to improve absorption of calcium and phosphate which are essential for healthy bones.
- Helps to maintain healthy bone density by providing minerals to the skeleton.
- Helps to build and maintain muscle strength in older people, which may reduce risk of falls.
- 1-a-day dose, high strength 1000 IU.
Vitamin D3 is often called the ﾑsunshine vitamin' as it is manufactured in the skin through the action of sunlight. Small amounts can also be obtained from food sources, such as cod liver oil, which is a rich natural source.
Vitamin D3 stimulates the absorption of calcium from the small intestine, and the reabsorption of calcium from the kidneys. A major function of calcium is building and maintaining bones and teeth. Vitamin D decreases parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels which decreases the amount of calcium released from bone. This is important for maintaining bone density.
Adequate levels of vitamin D throughout life are important for building and maintaining healthy bone mass, and hence in maintaining bone density. Low levels of vitamin D have been associated with reduced bone density and increased risk of hip fracture in the elderly.
Vitamin D has the added benefit of helping to improve muscle strength in the elderly. Improving muscle strength can help to reduce the incidence of falls, which can reduce the risk of fractures.
There are a significant number of Australians who are at risk of vitamin D deficiency. These include elderly people (particularly those in residential care) and people with dark skin (particularly if veiled) who have inadequate exposure to sunlight. Ageing also significantly decreases the skin's capacity to produce vitamin D3.
Adults: Take 1 capsule a day with a meal, or as professionally prescribed.
Children under 12 years: Only as professionally prescribed.
Contraindications and cautions:
- Contains sodium sulfite.
- Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol 25mcg) 1000 IU
|Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price||$28.99|